Is your water bill higher than normal? Your plumbing system may have a water leak or the leak may be from an old toilet that is using too much water on each flush or constantly running. It may also be some other issue like a slab leak. To get the best results don’t wait to fix the leak. The longer you wait, the more money this is going to cost.
The following list is the fastest way to check if there is a leak in your plumbing system.
1. Turn off all of the water inside your home.
2. Find your water meter and look for a yellow or red triangle or a circle. If it is spinning this indicates you have a leak in your plumbing system somewhere.
3. Locate the main shut off valve and close it. Caution: Open and close this valve slowly. This valve may not have been opened or closed for years, and there is typically high water pressure coming into the home. Turning this valve off will cut all the water supply to your house and should stop anything from moving on the water meter. This will shut off any inbound water flow into the home.
4. If you still see everything moving on the water meter, then your shutoff valve is broken. Call us at (678) 355-9181 to get this plumbing problem fixed as soon as possible. In case of an emergency you will not be able to shut off the water going into the home and you may suffer from flood or water damage to the property due to not having an operational shutoff valve. This can easily be avoided by being proactive, and calling a licensed professional Kennesaw plumber.
5. Once the valve is in the OFF position, turn on a faucet to see if there is any water running.
6. If the “leak indicator” is still moving, and the valve is working properly, then there is a leak between the meter and customer side. At this point call a professional plumber. Suggest that the plumber checks the main shutoff valve even if its operational to be double save and assure its not nearing a breaking point.
Leaks in plumbing systems cost Americans millions of dollars every year. Fixing plumbing leaks is one of the fastest way to save money on your monthly bills.